Clinton Township near Logansport in Cass County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Church at Pleasant Hill
1875
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Religion & Religious Structures. In addition, it is included in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
Location. 40° 42.74′ N, 86° 30.104′ W. Marker is near Logansport, Indiana, in Cass County. It is in Clinton Township. It is on South 675 West Ό mile south of West 325 South, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3624 S 675 W, Logansport IN 46947, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Northern Indiana. It is also in the American Midwest and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture and also the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Trail of Death (approx. 2.3 miles away); Burnett's Creek Arch (approx. 3.6 miles away); District School No. 3 (approx. 4½ miles away); Indiana Normal (approx. 5.9 miles away); In Honor of Our Resident Nurses (approx. 5.9 miles away); Logansport Civil War Memorial (approx. 7.3 miles away); Charles E. Hale (approx. 7.3 miles away); Jackson Township Schools and Gymnasium (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Logansport.
Regarding The Church at Pleasant Hill. Excerpts from the National Register nomination:
Pleasant Hill is the only known 19th century church in the county which was built as a cooperative effort by several congregations.
The original deed to the church property was made out to three men as trustees of the denominations responsible for the building; Michael Klepinger of the Christian Church commonly known as the New Lights; James Justice of the Christian Church commonly known as the Campbellites; and Jacob Eyman of the Church of God commonly known as the Dunkard Church. Each of these three denominations was allowed to control the building and its use for one week out of every month, beginning on Friday night. The fourth week was reserved for the use of all other orthodox denominations.
The last service at Pleasant Hill was held in 1909 and was a funeral for one of its members. In 1939, surviving members of each of the three denominations voted to transfer control of the building and the cemetery to the Pleasant Hill Cemetery Association. Although the cemetery was still in use, the building fell into disrepair and was used only for storage. In the 1980s, the Pleasant Hill Church Association began restoring the building. It is now used for the annual meeting of the Cemetery Association and is available for the public to view as a restored example of a 19th c. country church.
Also see . . . Pleasant Hill Church (PDF). National Register nomination for the church, which was listed in 1996. (Prepared by Martha B. Justice, Pleasant Hill Church Association; via National Archives) (Submitted on July 11, 2024, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2024. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2024, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 11, 2024, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.


