Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Camden in Carroll County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Andrew Thomas House

 
 
Andrew Thomas House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 15, 2024
1. Andrew Thomas House Marker
Inscription. This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. In addition, it is included in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
 
Location. 40° 36.522′ N, 86° 32.425′ W. Marker is in Camden, Indiana, in Carroll County. It is on West Main Street (Indiana Route 218) near North Monroe Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 183 W Main St, Camden IN 46917, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in Northern Indiana. It is also in the American Midwest and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture and also the Northwest Territory.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies:
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
Camden / Jackson Township (a few steps from this marker); Jackson Township Schools and Gymnasium (approx. 0.2 miles away); District School No. 3 (approx. 3.3 miles away); Whistler Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Old Flora Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Flora (approx. 4.3 miles away); Flora War Memorials (approx. 4.4 miles away); Wilson Bridge (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
 
Regarding Andrew Thomas House. Excerpt from the National Register nomination:
In 1869, the present house was constructed for Andrew J. Thomas, a banker and grain dealer. Thomas was a Jackson Township Trustee from 1866 to 1869 and a founder of the Camden Bank.

The house was purchased in 1876 by Philip Ray, a lawyer, after Thomas' death. Ray suc­ceeded Thomas in the banking and grain business and married Thomas' widow. Ray lived in the house until his death in 1922.

The Camden Methodist Episcopal Church bought the house in 1925 for use as a parsonage. The building was used for a short time in the late 1940's for a municipal office building. In 1949 it was converted to a nursing home, which use was discontinued
Andrew Thomas House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 15, 2024
2. Andrew Thomas House Marker
The building now is home of the Camden-Jackson Township Public Library.
in 1968.

In 1969 the trustees of the Camden-Jackson Township Public Library bought the building, which is now a community library.

 
Also see . . .  Andrew Thomas House (PDF). National Register nomination for the structure, which was listed n 1984. (Prepared by Dennis E. McCouch, Carroll County Historical Society; via National Archives) (Submitted on July 11, 2024, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2024. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2024, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2024, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
m=250940

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 16, 2026