Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Granger in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church

 
 
Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
1. Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church Marker
Inscription.  

The Czechs/Moravians who settled here in the early 1880s initially worshiped in each others' homes or traveled 12 miles to Taylor, site of the nearest Catholic church. As their informal congregation grew so did the community of Granger. In 1891 they erected a wood frame sanctuary here on land donated by Austinite W. H. Walton, and named their church after the Czech patron saints, Cyril and Methodius.

During the Rev. Frantisek Machan's brief tenure as pastor the church formed several fraternal organizations and established a school. His successor, the Rev. Frantisek Pridal, helped the congregation build a new school building/parish hall in 1912 and replace the original church building with a brick structure in 1916. Following the death of the beloved Father Pridal in 1927, the Rev. John Vanicek became pastor. He helped many young parishioners enter the priesthood and sisterhood, and guided several parishioners into leadership roles in statewide Catholic fraternal organizations.

In 1948 this church became a part of the newlyformed Austin Diocese. A 2-story brick school building was added in 1947, a recreation center
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in 1959, and a brick convent in 1960. The church continues to play an integral role in church and community affairs.
 
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9333.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
 
Location. 30° 43.102′ N, 97° 26.834′ W. Marker is in Granger, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on N Brazos St., on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Granger TX 76530, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Granger Brethren Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic School (about 300 feet away); Brick Streets in Granger (about 600 feet away); A. A. & Mary Spacek House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Granger City Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Young House (approx. half a mile away); Granger High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Macedonia Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Granger.
 
Also see . . .  SS Cyril & Methodius Catholic Church. (Submitted on May 12, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
 
Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
2. Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church
The marker is to the far right in this view of the church.
Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
3. Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 886 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 6, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25175

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024