Stockade District in Kingston in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church
This building, formerly the First Kingston Armory, was purchased through an agent, Luke Noone, in July of 1867. The church received financial support of not only the Catholics, but many Protestants and Jews as well.
Dedicated as St. Josephs on July 27, 1869, the first pastor was Rev. James A. Dougherty, 1868-1888.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings • Religion & Religious Structures. In addition, it is included in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 27, 1869.
Location. 41° 55.937′ N, 74° 1.137′ W. Marker is in Kingston, New York, in Ulster County. It is in the Stockade District. It is at the intersection of Main Street and Wall Street, on the left when traveling west on Main Street. The marker is mounted at eye-level near the northeast corner of the subject building, facing Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 242 Wall Street, Kingston NY 12401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Upstate New York and in the Hudson Valley. It is also in the American Northeast, in the Mid-Atlantic, and on the Eastern Seaboard. Globally, it is in the North Atlantic Region, North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Netherland and also one of the original Thirteen Colonies.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Three Sisters Companion Planting (a few steps from this marker); Patriots of the Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Dutch Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Old Dutch Church (within shouting distance of this marker); George Clinton (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Cornelius C. Elmendorph House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named George Clinton (within shouting distance of this marker); Van Leuven Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
Regarding St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church. Contributing property, Kingston
Stockade District, National Register of Historic Places #75001231.
From the National Register Nomination:
St. Josephs Church is an 1833 Greek Revival structure. The two story brick edifice was originally a Dutch Reformed Church but was converted to a Catholic church in 1868. It also served as an armory during the Civil War.
Also see . . .
1. Church of St. Joseph: Our History.
1867 The Kingston Armory on the corner of Main and Wall Streets is bought secretly to serve as the new St. Joseph's Church. Due to anti-Catholic prejudice, the deed is in a parishioner's name, Luke Noone.(Submitted on July 26, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
1868 The new St. Joseph's Parish is assigned its first pastor, Reverend James Dougherty, who begins his duties on October 12.
1869 On July 27, the new St. Joseph's church opens its doors and is formally dedicated.
1898 The new church front is completed, adding the vestibule, bell tower and the brick facade with the statue of St. Joseph. The grand reopening is held on May 1 and presided over by Bishop John Farley.
1903 Stone sidewalks around the church are installed.
1904 The church interior is totally renovated.
2. Kingston Stockade District (Wikipedia).
Excerpt:
The Kingston Stockade District is an eight-block area in the western section of Kingston, New York, United States, commonly referred to as Uptown Kingston. It is the original site of the mid-17th century Dutch settlement of Wiltwyck, which was later renamed Kingston when it passed to English control. It is the only one of three original Dutch settlements in New York surrounded by stockades where the outline of the stockade is still evident due to the raised ground. Within the area are many historic buildings from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. St. Joseph's Church, built in 1833, was home to the Old Dutch Church congregation prior to the construction of its current church. It was later used as an armory during the Civil War, and afterwards became the city's first Roman Catholic church in 1868.(Submitted on July 26, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2024. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 408 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 26, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.



