Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Williamson County Sun

 
 
Williamson County Sun Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
1. Williamson County Sun Marker
Inscription.  

First published on May 19, 1877, the “Williamson County Sun” was founded by Jessie E. Cooper (1855-1944). In its first century of operation, the “Sun” initiated numerous civic projects, such as the building of the first railroad in Georgetown, Wesleyan Retirement Home, and low cost housing. Editors of the paper included Frank T. Roche, John R. Allen, John M. Sharpe, and Robert W. Cooper, son of the founder. Donald and Clara Scarbrough became the second full owners of the enterprise in 1948. The oldest newspaper in Williamson County, the weekly “Sun” became a semi-weekly in 1974.
 
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13875.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1979.
 
Location. 30° 38.239′ N, 97° 40.62′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 709 S Main St, Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker. C.A.D. Clamp (here, next to this marker); Shafer Saddlery (within shouting distance of this marker); Ku Klux Klan Trials (within shouting distance of this marker); H. C. Craig Bulding (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Glasscock, Sr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Williamson County (within shouting distance of this marker); Williamson County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); M.B. Lockett Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Also see . . .  The Williamson County Sun. (Submitted on December 9, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
 
Williamson County Sun Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kayla Harper, February 16, 2019
2. Williamson County Sun Marker
Williamson County Sun image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
3. Williamson County Sun
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 947 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 9, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on February 17, 2019, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas.   3. submitted on December 9, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25319

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024