Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Grant's Meeting House

 
 
Grant's Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
1. Grant's Meeting House Marker
Inscription.  
On this site the first Methodist church building in Georgia was erected in 1787. Daniel Grant and his son, Thomas, prosperous merchants of this area, were its builders.

Bishop Asbury often visited the Grants at their home nearby, on his trips through Georgia, and in the church here he held, the second and third Methodist conferences in the State, in 1789, and 1790.

Thomas Grant was for many years a prominent Methodist layman in Georgia.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 157-25.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1787.
 
Location. 33° 40.868′ N, 82° 41.011′ W. Marker is near Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is on Wrightsboro Road (Georgia Route 80) 1.2 miles south of Thomson Road (U.S. 78), on the left when traveling
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington GA 30673, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smyrna Methodist Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Smyrna Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Smyrna Churchyard (approx. 2.9 miles away); Bishop James Osgood Andrew (approx. 4.2 miles away); Wynne-Randall (approx. 4.6 miles away); Washington-Wilkes Historical Museum (approx. 4.7 miles away); Historic Dugas Home (approx. 4.7 miles away); K.A. Wilheit House (approx. 4.7 miles away); Old Manse (approx. 4.7 miles away); Sims-Beggs House (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
 
Grant's Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, August 26, 2015
2. Grant's Meeting House Marker
Grant's Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
3. Grant's Meeting House Marker
Looking north on Wrightsboro Road, toward Washington
Grant's Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
4. Grant's Meeting House Marker
Looking south on Wrightsboro Road, toward the site of the Quaker settlement of Wrightsboro, founded in 1768.
Grant's Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, August 26, 2015
5. Grant's Meeting House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,081 times since then and 131 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on November 12, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3, 4. submitted on December 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   5. submitted on November 12, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25412

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 24, 2023