St. Charles in St. Charles County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
616 Washington Street
| | Midtown Neighborhood | |
Features of the home include the original clapboard siding, two sets of pocket doors, a beautiful oak staircase, and pine floors.
In 1986, the roof was literally raised to add a third bedroom. In 1988, the first floor was expanded by enlarging the kitchen and adding a bathroom.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. In addition, it is included in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
Location. 38° 47.085′ N, 90° 29.316′ W. Marker is in St. Charles, Missouri, in St. Charles County. It is on Washington Street east of North 7th Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 616 Washington St, Saint Charles MO 63301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Missouri River Corridor and in Greater St. Louis. It is also in the American Midwest, in the Lewis & Clark Corridor, in the Corn Belt, and in the Great River Road Region. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, the Louisiana Purchase, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: 705 Washington Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 721 Washington Street (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 315 N. Sixth Street (about 500 feet away); 715 Jefferson Street (about 500 feet away); 317 North Sixth Street (about 500 feet away); 320-322 North Sixth Street (about 500 feet away); 321 North Benton (about 700 feet away); 809 Jefferson Street (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Charles.
Regarding 616 Washington Street. Excerpt from a 2012 architectural/historical survey of the area:
According to the Countys tax parcels database, the house was built in 1906, but it is shown on the 1905 plat of the city. The 1906 city directory lists the owners as Virgil and Maggie Owen, and he was a contractor and builder. A plaque in the front yard indicates that Mr. Owen built the house. From 1908-1910 the occupants were Fred and Annie Bruenger. Mr. Bruenger was employed by the American Car and Foundry Co. (ACF). By 1916-17 Mrs. Anna E. Bloebaum, widow of Henry, had purchased the property. She owned the property through 1942, and during the period 1929-1942 her son Oscar F. Bloebaum and his wife Goldie lived with her. Oscar was a co-owner of the St. Charles Garage and Machine Works in 1929-34, a farmer in 1939, and a salesman for D.J. Borgmeyer & Son in 1941-42. Henry and Louise Woehrmann were the homeowners in 1945, then from 1950-1959 the owners were Joseph B. and Winifred Peyton. In 1950 Mr. Peyton was a foreman at ACF, but from 1952 through 1959 he was a foreman at McDonnell Aircraft. The 1961 city directory listed no return.
Also see . . . Midtown Neighborhood Historic District. Wikipedia entry:
Links to National Register of Historic Places Registration Form (Submitted on October 30, 2025, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2025. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2024, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 140 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2024, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

