Near Granger in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Moravia School
By 1880, the family resided in Williamson County and, in 1884, Machu donated three acres of his farm for a community school that was named for his native land. S.E. Montgomery donated funds for lumber and built the one-room schoolhouse, which also provided meeting space for church services and community activities.
Moravia School opened in 1884, replacing the earlier Dykes School (1 mi. S). Charles Lord served as the first headmaster. Moravia became Common School District No. 83 in 1903. It continued to serve the dispersed farming settlement and was a focal point for social and religious gatherings. In 1922, trustees enlarged the schoolhouse to two rooms, providing space for grades one through eight. Older students attended high school in Granger.
By the 1930s, the declining agricultural population resulted in the closing of several area schools, and Moravia closed in 1945. The district formally merged with Granger Independent School District in 1949, and the Moravia schoolhouse was soon moved to Granger to the site of Crispus Attucks High School. There it remained until 1964, when the African American Attucks School integrated with other Granger schools. The site of the pioneer schoolhouse now serves as an important reminder of the area’s rich cultural history.
Erected 2003 by Texas Historic Commission. (Marker Number 12918.)
Location. 30° 41.202′ N, 97° 23.918′ W. Marker is near Granger, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker can be reached from County Road 389 near County Road 390. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Granger TX 76530, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Young House (approx. 3.2 miles away); Granger High School (approx. 3.2 miles away); Granger City Hall (approx. 3.3 miles away); A. A. & Mary Spacek House (approx. 3.4 miles away); David H. and Jerusha Dyches McFadin House (approx. 3½ miles away); Brick Streets in Granger (approx. 3½ miles away); Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic School (approx. 3.6 miles away); Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Granger.
Categories. • Education •
More. Search the internet for Site of Moravia School.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 707 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on December 13, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Information as to the current status of the schoolhouse building. • Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?