Taylor in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Built in 1892 by prominent local lumber man J.E. Tucker, this residence originally reflected the Queen Anne style. Decker Franklin Smith purchased the house in 1905. In 1916 Smith extensively remodeled the house in the Mission style, which was then gaining popularity in Texas. Its prominent features include a wraparound arcaded porch, paired Doric columns, and quatrefoil windows. Smith continued to live here until 1920.
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9366.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 30° 34.385′ N, 97° 24.975′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Texas, in Williamson County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 516 W 7th St, Taylor TX 76574, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Doak Home (within shouting distance of this marker); St. James Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wedemeyer Hospital Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Taylor Public Schools The Tenth Street United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Christian Church of Taylor (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Taylor (approx. 0.3 miles away); Birthplace of Governor Dan Moody (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,233 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 13, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on December 14, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.