Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bolton in Peel Region, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
 

Masonic Arms Hotel

 
 
Masonic Arms Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, June 4, 2024
1. Masonic Arms Hotel Marker
Inscription.
On this site once stood the Masonic Arms Hotel. Built circa 1848 by James Johnson, an Irish innkeeper, this two-storey hotel contributed much to the social and economic life of the village of Bolton in the latter half of the nineteenth century.

After brief ownerships by Thomas C. Starrett and Edward Hill in the late 1850s, the hotel was purchased in 1860 by another Irishman, William Curliss, who remained its proprietor for almost 40 years. Curliss had come to Bolton in 1846, working initially as a stone mason. By 1851, he had become an innkeeper, possibly working for James Johnson at the Masonic Arms Hotel.

Aptly named, the Masonic Arms Hotel provided assembly space for Bolton's two Masonic Lodges. Western Light Masonic Lodge, which had relocated to Bolton from King Township in 1854, met in a room above the hotel's stable until 1864 when the Lodge disbanded. Thomas C. Starrett, second owner of the hotel, was secretary of this Lodge. This assembly room was later used as an armoury for the 36th Peel Regiment.

True Blue Masonic Lodge, formed by a break-away group from Western Light, met in an upper room of the hotel from 1858
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
until 1876 when its present hall was built on Nancy Street. Interestingly, hotel proprietor William Curliss was the first candidate initiated into the new Lodge in 1858. True Blue Masonic Lodge celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2008, and remains the longest operating fraternal order in the Town of Caledon.

In 1931, James H. Bolton described the Masonic Arms Hotel as having been “a quiet place, with a small bar but he [Curliss] was credited with always serving better brands of liquor than the general run of taverns.” Curliss' brother, Thomas, was proprietor of the popular Albion Hotel, located on the west side of Queen Street just north of the Humber River, from 1862 to 1876.

In 1899, William Curliss sold the Masonic Arms Hotel to Thomas D. Elliott, owner of Bolton's Queen's Hotel. Renamed the Balmoral Hotel, the building was eventually demolished in 1906. In 1908, the Imperial Bank of Commerce purchased the prominent corner property and erected an impressive brick building, considered a great improvement for Bolton's commercial core. This first bank was replaced by the present building in 1976.
 
Erected by Heritage Caledon.
 
Topics.
Marker detail: King Street, circa 1900 image. Click for full size.
Courtesy Peel Art Gallery
2. Marker detail: King Street, circa 1900
A circa 1900 view looking west on King Street East from near Elm Street, showing the Masonic Arms Hotel in white on the left. Photo courtesy Peel Art Gallery, Museum, and Archives, Albion-Bolton Historical Society Collection.
This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
 
Location. 43° 52.777′ N, 79° 44.281′ W. Marker is in Bolton, Ontario, in Peel Region. It is at the intersection of Queen Street South (Provincial Highway 50) and King Street East (Regional Road 9), on the right when traveling north on Queen Street South. The marker is located beside the sidewalk near the southeast corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 King Street East, Bolton ON L7E 5T1, Canada. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in Greater Toronto, specifically on the Golden Horseshoe, and in the Toronto Metropolitan Area. It is also in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Rupert’s Land.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 kilometers
Marker detail: Queen Street image. Click for full size.
3. Marker detail: Queen Street
[left]  A circa 1900 view looking north on Queen Street South toward the four corners, showing the white frame Masonic Arms Hotel on the right with its distinctive semi-circular sign. Photo courtesy Peel Art Gallery, Museum, and Archives.

[right]  A circa 1920s view looking north on Queen Street South toward the four corners, showing the rear of the 1908 Imperial Bank of Commerce building on the right. Photo courtesy Albion-Bolton Historical Society.

of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Caledon East Community Memorial Hall (approx. 10.2 kilometers away); Lloydtown (approx. 12.8 kilometers away); St. Margaret of Scotland, Tuam (approx. 14.8 kilometers away); Kinghorn School (approx. 15.8 kilometers away); Laskay Hall (approx. 15.8 kilometers away); King Railway Station (approx. 15.8 kilometers away); Teston (approx. 15.9 kilometers away); The Mighty Canadian Minebuster (approx. 16.4 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .  The Rich History of Downtown Bolton.
Excerpt: The origins of this riverside community began in 1821 when George Bolton purchased 200 acres of land along the Humber River from surveyor James Chewett. George built a house, dammed the river and with the help of his older brother, Albion Township settler James Bolton, built a water-powered flour mill which was operating by 1824. George’s mill gradually attracted other development and by 1840, Bolton boasted 14 houses, 2 stores, blacksmiths, a shoemaker, a tailor and a hotel. In 1848, James Johnstone builds a tavern and Inn on the south-east corner of King and Queen Streets (present day location of
Marker detail: King Street image. Click for full size.
4. Marker detail: King Street
[left]  A circa 1930s view looking west on King Street East toward the four corners, showing the Imperial Bank of Commerce building on the corner. Photo courtesy Peel Art Gallery, Museum, and Archives.

[right]  Looking southeast at the Imperial Bank of Commerce, circa 1910. Photo courtesy Greg Pannia.

CIBC). By the late-1850s it is known as the Masonic Arms Hotel.
(Submitted on August 26, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Masonic Arms Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, June 4, 2024
5. Masonic Arms Hotel Marker
Looking east across the King Street/Queen Street intersection. The marker is located beside the current CIBC bank building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2024. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 223 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 26, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
m=255196

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 26, 2026