Taylor in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The early growth of Taylor as a vital cotton and railroad center is reflected in its historic business district. Hugo Hunke built this two-story commercial structure in 1914 to anchor an important block. It provided first floor space for two businesses and up to seven offices on the second floor. Early occupants included Strand Tailors and Menefee Grocery. It has served a variety of other businesses, but is remembered as the site of Preslar-Hewitt Pharmacy, 1929-1954. Detailing includes pilasters, capitals, transoms, decorative tile work and an entablature with dentil course.
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13070.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1914.
Location. 30° 34.23′ N, 97° 24.58′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and 4th Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 321 N Main St, Taylor TX 76574, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distanceEikel-Prewitt Building (a few steps from this marker); Tex Avery (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Taylor (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bill Pickett (about 300 feet away); Taylor Post Office (about 400 feet away); Taylor National Bank (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Taylor (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Christian Church of Taylor (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,044 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 14, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.