Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Two years later, Eberhardt rented for a school the Madison Baptist congregation's former church on Academy Street (which was also rented to their black brethren who had formed Calvary Baptist Church led by Rev. Allen Clark). By June 1867, the Bureau acquired a one-acre tract on Hill Street and purchased the rented building for relocation to the site.
Northern aid societies – the most significant among these for Central Georgia being the American Missionary Association – supplied financial support and teachers, mostly Northern white women. As President of the local education association, Rev. Clark worked to employ African-American teachers for Madison Freedmen's School, which operated here until the 1870s when Georgia's dual system of education began.
Erected 2009 by City of
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Education. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1867.
Location. 33° 35.638′ N, 83° 28.546′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on Hill Street, 0 miles north of Fourth Street, on the right when traveling north. The marker is opposite Clark's Chapel at the end of Hill Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 745 Hill Street, Madison GA 30650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Formal Southern Landscapes (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Religious Life (approx. 0.2 miles away); Madison Historic Cemeteries (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Town Commons (approx. ¼ mile away); Segregated Burial Grounds (approx. ¼ mile away); Early Academies (approx. ¼ mile away); Confederate Dead (approx. ¼ mile away); Joshua Hill Home (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,263 times since then and 143 times this year. Last updated on December 15, 2009, by Ken Kocher of Madison, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.