Gardnerville in Douglas County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
1404 Highway 395
— Styless Utilitarian Style —
Opened in 1896 by Mr. and Mrs. William Ritchford, the three-story hotel was a stage stop. A water tower was also built on the site, however it no longer stands.
The Ritchford was the most luxurious hotel in town at the turn of the century. It was famous for its wonderful meals and well-kept rooms, and visitors from as far away as San Francisco were highly impressed.
An advertisement in the Record-Courier shortly after the turn of the 20th century stated:
Excellent Meals and
Clean Comfortable Beds
Livery and Feed Stable
Hay and Grain For Sale
Horses Bought and Sold
The hotel's livery stables were located in buildings on the south side of the hotel.
In the upper left corner of the marker is seal of the city of Gardnerville, while in the lower right hand corner is the seal of the US Forest Service.
Erected 2004 by Town of Gardnerville.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1404 Highway 395, Gardnerville NV 89410, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Arendt Jensen Merchandise (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); J & T Basque Restaurant Building (about 400 feet away); Farmer’s Telephone Company (about 400 feet away); Record Courier Building (about 500 feet away); Adaven Building (about 500 feet away); Jensen/Schacht House (about 500 feet away); The French Hotel and Bar (about 600 feet away); Arendt Jensen Home (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gardnerville.
More about this marker. The marker is located on the right front corner of the building.
Also see . . . #21 - The Ritchford Hotel. Scott Schrantz' 2006 article on AroundCarson.com on the history of the Ritchford Hotel, including a picture of the hotel prior to the 1937 fire. (Submitted on December 16, 2009.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,008 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 15, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 3. submitted on December 16, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.