Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
O. Henry Hall
The University of Texas System
Built during the period 1877-1881 as a federal courthouse and post office, this was the sixth United States Post Office location in Austin, dating from the establishment of the first post office in Austin in 1840. The building was constructed by Abner Cook, famed early Texas builder, at a cost of $200,000. James G. Hill of the U.S. Treasury Department was the supervising architect. Following construction of the new post office at 210 West Sixth Street in 1912-1914, the building continued to be used as a courthouse and later for miscellaneous federal agencies until 1968. Given to the University of Texas system by the federal government, the building was restored by the university in 1971 and named O. Henry Hall after William Sydney Porter, a noted American short story writer whose pseudonym was O. Henry and whose trial was held here in the federal courthouse. Architecturally, the building is considered to be of national significance because of its exact symmetry and pure lines apparently inspired by the design of Italian high renaissance palaces popular in the late 1870’s. Compared to typical architectural design of federal courthouses
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15479.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately 📭 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
Location. 30° 16.113′ N, 97° 44.638′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on Colorado Street north of West 6th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 Colorado Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Claudia Taylor Johnson Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Norwood Tower (about 400 feet away); Scarbrough Building (about 400 feet away); Littlefield Building (about 600 feet away); Stephen F. Austin Hotel (about 600 feet away); Paramount Theatre (about 600 feet away); Offices Of The War Department And The Adjutant General (about 700 feet away); Openheimer-Montgomery Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 976 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.