Whitewright in Grayson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Methodist Church of Whitewright
The village of Whitewright was established in 1878. The Methodist congregation associated with Sears Chapel organized the First Methodist Church of Whitewright in 1882. By 1885 the congregation had completed a sanctuary and a parsonage and was served by the Rev. W.M. Robbins, a circuit-riding Methodist preacher. A Sunday school, organized in 1886, averaged about 50 pupils during its early years of operation. A new sanctuary, built at this site in 1895, served the congregation for over 100 years. A new parsonage was completed in 1930, and in 1942 the church erected an education building. Major renovations to the church and education buildings were completed in 1979.
The church, renamed First United Methodist Church in 1968, supports a variety of special annual events and continues to be active in many local and foreign outreach programs.
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7365.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 33° 30.696′ N, 96° 23.749′ W. Marker is in Whitewright, Texas, in Grayson County. It is at the intersection of West Maple Street and South Blanton, on the right when traveling east on West Maple Street. The marker is located at the front entrance of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 S Maple, Whitewright TX 75491, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Prairies & Lakes Region. It is also in the American South. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8
other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Martindale-Lackey-Hudgins House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church and Manse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Whitewright Masonic Lodge No. 167 (approx. Ό mile away); Whitewright (approx. 0.3 miles away); Vittitoe Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Kentucky Town (approx. 2½ miles away); A.M. Bryant Homeplace (approx. 2.6 miles away); Everheart-Canaan Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Whitewright.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2024. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2024, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 157 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 11, 2024, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.


