Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Forsyth in Monroe County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Georgia Militia at Forsyth

 
 
Georgia Militia at Forsyth Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
1. Georgia Militia at Forsyth Marker
Inscription.  On Nov. 16, 1864, Maj. Gen. G. W. Smith, CSA, reached Griffin (30 miles NW) after a night withdrawal from Lovejoy’s Station (13 miles N of Griffin) where he had been posted to support Iverson’s division of Wheeler’s cavalry [CS] which was watching for a movement by Gen. Sherman’s army [US] from Atlanta toward Macon. His force consisted of 2800 infantry of the First Division, Georgia Militia, 3 batteries, and about 250 local reserve cavalry.

On the 15th, Gen. Sherman’s Right Wing had marched from White Hall (West End) near Atlanta toward Jonesboro and Lovejoy’s Station. Although Gen. Smith was prepared to fight a delaying action at Lovejoy’s Station, the Union column turned SE at Morrow’s Station (4 miles N of Jonesboro), toward Stockbridge and McDonough, forcing him to withdraw to the fortifications of Griffin to protect the hospital center there.

Late on the 16th, Gen. Smith learned that the Union forces had moved south through Stockbridge and McDonough toward Jackson, on the Atlanta-Macon road (22 miles N of Forsyth). At dark, he withdrew from Griffin and marched his command to Forsyth, to protect this defenseless town and to
Georgia Militia at Forsyth Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
2. Georgia Militia at Forsyth Marker
The marker stands on Brooklyn Avenue in front of the Monroe County Board of Education
Click or scan to see
this page online
put his troops into position to delay the enemy’s advance on Macon
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 102-7.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Sherman’s March to the Sea series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1810.
 
Location. 33° 2.007′ N, 83° 55.99′ W. Marker is in Forsyth, Georgia, in Monroe County. Marker is on Brooklyn Avenue (U.S. 41) 0.1 miles South Bennett Street, on the right when traveling south. The marker is located in front of the Monroe County Board of Education office. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25 Brooklyn Avenue, Forsyth GA 31029, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Hospital Camp (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bessie Tift College (about 600 feet away); Confederate Dead and Hospitals (approx. ¼ mile away); Tift College (approx. ¼ mile away); James Record Shop (approx. ¼ mile away); James Dry Cleaners (approx. ¼ mile away); James Café (approx. ¼ mile away); Dillard's Barbershop (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Forsyth.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,344 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 20, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25655

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 6, 2022