Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Austin High School

A Centennial of Public High School Education

 
 
Austin High School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, July 15, 2007
1. Austin High School Marker
Inscription.  

Tax supported, locally controlled secondary education began in Austin in 1881 with the establishment of a high school department in the city school district. Plans for implementing the program were developed under the leadership of school board President A.P. Wooldridge and Superintendent John B. Winn.

Austin High School opened in September 1881 with an enrollment of 31 girls and 17 boys. Classes were first held on the third floor of the west Austin school building at the corner of 11th and Rio Grande. Due to continued growth, classes were later moved to the First Baptist Church building, the temporary State Capitol, and the Smith Opera House. In 1900 the first high school building was completed at Trinity and 9th. When the enrollment outgrew the facilities there, the high school was moved to the campus of John T. Allan Junior High School on Rio Grande. Austin High was moved again in 1975, following the completion of a new complex at this site.

For over a century, Austin High School has been a leader in the development of innovative educational programs and has maintained a record of academic excellence that reflects
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the community’s concern for the quality of education in Austin.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6449.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1881.
 
Location. 30° 16.396′ N, 97° 45.991′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from West Cesar Chavez Street north of Stephen F Austin Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1715 West Cesar Chavez Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clay Pit Bucket Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Men's Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Travis County (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Johnson Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Family Home of Dr. R. K. Smoot (approx. 0.4 miles away); Esperanza School Building (approx. half a mile away); Mathews School (approx. half a mile away); Swedes of Texas (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,008 times since then and 19 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25705

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024