Downtown Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Prussian native Joseph Fischer (1826-1889) constructed this home for his family in 1882 with the help of his son Francis. Skilled stonemasons, Joseph and Francis Fischer developed one of Austin’s leading masonry contracting businesses and worked in the construction of many notable area buildings, including the Texas Capitol. The Fischer House reflects the quality of their craftsmanship in the elaborate ornamentation of brick and native limestone. High Victorian Italianate in design, the home was owned by family members until 1938.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6452.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 30° 16.491′ N, 97° 44.941′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Downtown Austin. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Avenue and West 11th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1008 West Avenue, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. Pease School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pease School Building (about 400 feet away); Edward Clark House Outbuilding (about 500 feet away); George W. Sampson Home (about 500 feet away); Austin High School (about 600 feet away); Moore-Flack House (about 800 feet away); Brizendine House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Boardman-Webb House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . Fischer House Historical Marker Application. The Portal to Texas History (Submitted on May 10, 2020, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 946 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on May 10, 2020, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3. submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.