Downtown Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Stephen F. Austin Hotel
To meet the needs of the growing Austin community, T.B. Baker, President of Baker Hotels, opened a hotel in 1924 at this site, previously occupied by the Keystona Hotel. Baker’s new facility, initially to be called “The Texas,” was named for Stephen F. Austin in response to local interest. Acclaimed Fort Worth firm Sanguinet, Staats and Hedrick designed the Beaux Arts hotel; local architect Roy L. Thomas represented them in its construction. In 1938, five stories were added. After a restoration in 2000, the hotel retains much of its original, classically influenced detailing on the interior and exterior.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2002
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13141.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1924.
Location. 30° 16.144′ N, 97° 44.525′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Downtown Austin. Marker is on East 7th Street east of Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 Congress Avenue, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Paramount Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Offices Of The War Department And The Adjutant General (within shouting distance of this marker); Angelina Eberly Statue (within shouting distance of this marker); Openheimer-Montgomery Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Norwood Tower (about 400 feet away); Littlefield Building (about 400 feet away); Driskill Hotel (about 400 feet away); Scarbrough Building (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 22, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 951 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 22, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on December 22, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. 3. submitted on December 22, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.