Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

All Saints’ Episcopal Church

 
 
All Saints’ Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 8, 2007
1. All Saints’ Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  

This edifice stands on the mid-1840s land grant of former Republic of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar, and near the official residence of the second Bishop of the Diocese of Texas, the Rt. Rev. George Herbert Kinsolving (1849-1928). Aided by the Bishop and his wife Grace, the Diocese of Texas bought this land as site for a residence for women students of the University of Texas. Built in 1897, that structure called “Grace Hall” was in use for nearly 70 years.

All Saints’, erected in 1899 as a chapel for Grace Hall, was dedicated to the memory of the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg (1819-93), first Episcopal Bishop of Texas. Austin architect A.O. Watson designed the Gothic Revival structure of native limestone. Its stained glass windows of Medieval Mosaic style are recognized as fine examples of American art.

By 1910, All Saints’ had become a parish in the growing university neighborhood. In time, three of its Rectors became Bishops. The crozier of office of Bishop Kinsolving stood in the chancel for 35 years. He was revered as the founder, benefactor, and lifelong friend of the parish. As he had wished, his body
All Saints’ Episcopal Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 8, 2007
2. All Saints’ Episcopal Church and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
was buried beneath the altar in 1939.
 
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15108.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1897.
 
Location. 30° 17.507′ N, 97° 44.395′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on West 27th Street west of University Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Buen Retiro (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rebecca Kilgore Stuart Red (about 700 feet away); Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary (about 700 feet away); Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary Campus (about 700 feet away); Zeta Tau Alpha House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Littlefield Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); UT Tower Shooting Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Whitley-Keltner House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Also see . . .  All Saints' Episcopal Church. (Submitted on December 22, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 22, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 821 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 22, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25747

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2021