Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Downtown Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Austin High School

John T. Allan Campus

 
 
Austin High School - John T. Allan Campus Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, November 18, 2007
1. Austin High School - John T. Allan Campus Marker
Inscription.  

An ornate, red brick building at this site served as the first structure in town built for the public high school, founded in 1881. Construction of the facility was hastened when classrooms in the former temporary State Capitol at 11th and Congress were destroyed by fire. Completed in 1900 from the plans of Burt McDonald and James Reily, "Old Red" featured a domed rotunda, as the school grew additions were made to the original structure.

Under the supervision of principal James E. Pearce. 1895-1918 and superintendent A.N. McCallum, 1903-42, Austin High School developed a quality academic program. Renovations included the John T. Allan manual training center and one of the earliest domestic arts (home economics) departments in the nation.

The buildings here could no longer accommodate the growing Austin High School by 1925 and plans were made to utilize the larger junior high campus at the corner of 12th and Rio Grande. The switch was made during the Thanksgivings Holidays of that year and "Old Red" became the John T. Allan Junior High School. Classes were held at this site until 1956, when the complex was destroyed
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
by fire.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15360.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
 
Location. 30° 16.216′ N, 97° 44.281′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Downtown Austin. Marker is on Trinity Street north of East 9th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 901 Trinity Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. German Free School (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Mary’s Cathedral (about 700 feet away); Site of Tenth Street Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Central Presbyterian Church (about 800 feet away); General James Earl Rudder (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint David’s Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Land Office Building of 1856-57 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Texas Highway Department (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Austin High School - John T. Allan Campus Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, November 18, 2007
2. Austin High School - John T. Allan Campus Marker
View from across Trinity Street. Building behind and to the left of the marker is the First Baptist Church of Austin.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 998 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25753

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2024