Downtown Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Austin High School
Rio Grande Campus
In Edwin Waller’s 1839 plan for the City of Austin, two blocks were set aside for schools at Rio Grande and 12th Street, then called College Avenue. The Austin School Board in 1881 authorized the use of existing school facilities on the south block to house the primary grades 1-4, grammar school classes 5-7, and high school grades 8-11. Due to increased enrollment, the school board in 1916 built the John T. Allan Junior High School on the north block.
In 1925 the Austin High School was moved to this location from a campus on the corner of Trinity and 9th, where the junior high was relocated. Additions to the complex here were completed later to accommodate the larger student body.
The late 1920s was a time of increased student involvement for Austin High. During those years the Red Jackets girls organization and the Red Dragon Drama Club were formed and the student newspaper, the Austin Maroon, began publication. In the 1930s, the nearby House Park Athletic Fields were developed. The school name was changed to Stephen F. Austin in 1953.
Used for high school classes until 1975. This site was later part of the
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6416.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 30° 16.556′ N, 97° 44.847′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Downtown Austin. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Rio Grande Street and West 12th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pease School Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pease School (about 300 feet away); Edward Clark House Outbuilding (about 600 feet away); Fischer House (about 600 feet away); George W. Sampson Home (about 800 feet away); Brizendine House (about 800 feet away); Smith-Clark-Smith House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Daniel H. Caswell House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 970 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3. submitted on May 16, 2020, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.