Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Boardman-Webb House
Dr. Boardman erected this two-story residence with Victorian styling about 1880. After his widow Fannie sold the structure in 1906, it changed owners several times, finally becoming an apartment house.
Walter Prescott (1888-1963) and Jane (Oliphant) Webb (1889-1960) purchased the home in 1925. At that time Webb served as history instructor at the University of Texas and remained there for 45 years except for visiting professorships. Dr Webb became internationally known as an author and historian, concentrating on Texas and southwestern topics. He served as president of the American Historical Association in 1958. Mrs. Webb, a descendant of pioneer Texans and leader in patriotic groups, served as president general of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, 1943-45. Mrs. Webb's father William J. Oliphant, an early Austin photographer,
Erected 1979 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14502.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Buildings • Science & Medicine.
Location. 30° 16.35′ N, 97° 44.856′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on West 9th Street just west of Nueces, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 602 W 9th St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Moore-Flack House (within shouting distance of this marker); Gilfillan House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); George W. Sampson Home (about 500 feet away); Austin Woman’s Club (about 600 feet away); 1933 Austin Public Library (about 600 feet away); Robinson-Macken House (about 700 feet away); Joseph and Mary Robinson Martin House (about 700 feet away); Edward Clark House Outbuilding (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,172 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.