Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Lilia and Josephine Casis

 
 
Lilia and Josephine Casis Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, September 3, 2007
1. Lilia and Josephine Casis Marker
Inscription.  

Josephine (1873-1947) and Lilia (1869-1947) Casis were reared in Jamaica, where their European parents educated them in the classics, languages, and music, before they moved to Texas in 1890. Josephine earned a teaching degree and taught at Austin’s Palm School for 33 years. Lilia pursued graduate studies in Europe and at the University of Texas, where in 1916 she became the first woman full professor. The Casis sisters left their estates to the University of Texas; in 1951 the Austin School District named Casis Elementary School in their honor.
 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13847.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
 
Location. 30° 18.282′ N, 97° 45.895′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on Exposition Boulevard south of Northwood Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2710 Exposition Boulevard, Austin TX 78703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Taylor Lime Kiln No. 1 (approx. 0.4 miles away); William Steele
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. half a mile away); Major John B. Jones (approx. half a mile away); Donnan-Hill House (approx. half a mile away); Camp Mabry (approx. half a mile away); Camp Mabry Historic District (approx. 0.7 miles away); Texas in the Civil War (approx. 0.7 miles away); Adjutants General (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
More about this marker. Marker is located on the grounds of the Casis Elementary School.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 24, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 977 times since then and 50 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 24, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25795

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 19, 2022