Concord in Cabarrus County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Doctor's Office
Circa 1920
National Register of Historic Places
by the United States Department of the Interior
Erected by United States Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1920.
Location. 35° 24.595′ N, 80° 34.848′ W. Marker is in Concord, North Carolina, in Cabarrus County. It is on Union Street South south of Cabarrus Avenue West, on the right when traveling south. The marker is to the bottom right of the entrance way. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 28 Union St S, Concord NC 28025, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Piedmont and in Greater Charlotte. It is also in the American South and specifically in the Upper South. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of the original Thirteen Colonies, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: General Merchandise Store (here, next to this marker); Commercial Building (here, next to this marker); Pythian Building (within shouting distance of this marker); G.W. Patterson Grocery (within shouting distance of this marker); Commerical Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Red Hill Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); First Cabarrus Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Scotia Seminary (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Concord.
Another marker is no longer nearby. Concord, NC (was a few steps from this marker but has been permanently removed).
Regarding Doctor's Office. Excerpt from the South Union Street Courthouse and Commercial Historic District Nomination Form (pg. 12):
This diminutive building demonstrates that even the smallest of Concord's commercial buildings could boast a great deal of style during the early twentieth century. Sanborn Maps show that it was built between 1911 and 1921 (stylistically it appears to date closer to 1920), replacing an alley between the two adjacent buildings. It was first used as a doctor's office, but by 1927 it had converted to use as a store. In recent years has been a shoe repair shop. The yellow brick facade is largely consumed by the shop front, whose off-center door and adjacent shop window are headed by a three-part, segmental-arched transom with arched brick lintel and concrete keystone. The facade is enframed by narrow, paneled brick pilasters which ascend to the decorative concrete of the building's parapet.
Also see . . . South Union Street Courthouse and Gcnmercial Historic District Nomination Form (PDF). Prepared by Laura A. W. Phillips, Architectural Historian consultant for Concord Downtown Development Corp., 1997 (Submitted on October 9, 2024, by Mark Parker of Hickory, North Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2024. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2024, by Mark Parker of Hickory, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 9, 2024, by Mark Parker of Hickory, North Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.


