Central Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
J. Frank Dobie House
Built in 1925, this house was occupied by eminent Texas author, educator, and folklorist J. Frank Dobie (1888-1964) and his wife Bertha from 1926 until their deaths. Dobie, who taught a popular course at the University of Texas on the life and literature of the southwest, wrote many of his books here, and often mentioned his home “on Waller Creek” in the books’ prefaces. Among the friends who visited here were Carl Sandburg, Walter P. Webb, and Roy Bedichek. Exhibiting elements of the Colonial Revival style, the house includes a distinctive chimney on the front façade.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14242.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1925.
Location. 30° 17.354′ N, 97° 43.951′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Central Austin. Marker is at the intersection of East Dean Keeton Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 702 E Dean Keeton Street, Austin TX 78705, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Texas Wesleyan College (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Elbridge Hines (approx. ¼ mile away); The LBJ Plaza (approx. 0.3 miles away); Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary Campus (approx. 0.4 miles away); Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rebecca Kilgore Stuart Red (approx. 0.4 miles away); Replica of San Lorenzo Monument 1 (approx. 0.4 miles away); UT Tower Shooting Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - J. Frank Dobie. (Submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,299 times since then and 200 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3. submitted on December 23, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.