Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greater South River City in Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Doyle Farm

 
 
Doyle Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, December 20, 2007
1. Doyle Farm Marker
Inscription.  
Arrival on Sept. 21, 1874, of two brothers of Holy Cross
at the
Doyle Farm
James Doyle (1795?-1866). A native of Ireland, came to Texas in 1835. He was a stonemason, and in 1853 had charge of part of the work on the limestone Capitol being built in Austin. Also in 1853, he bought 498 acres of land and opened a farm at this site. His devout widow, Mary Doyle (d. 1871), in 1872 deeded 398 acres of the farm to Father Edward Sorin, Superior General of the Congregation of the Holy Cross, Notre Dame University, for "the establishment of a college, school, or other educational institution".

St. Edward's was not to open for several years, but Father Sorin sent Brother John of the Cross (Peter) Hanratty and Brother Maximus (Eugene) Petit to put the farm to use while school plans were pending. Arriving Sept. 21, 1874, they found a large dwelling house and other facilities, and gradually acquired livestock and tools. For years, Doyle Farm furnished food for St. Edward's staff and students, and later it was also to fund building programs. Brother Maximus lived out his days here. This marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
stands near his grave. Since 1874 a great university has developed out of the gift of Mrs. Doyle and the work of the pioneering brothers of Holy Cross.
 
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15328.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1925.
 
Location. 30° 13.284′ N, 97° 45.007′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Greater South River City. Marker can be reached from Interstate 35 Frontage Road south of Woodward Street, on the right when traveling south. The marker is in Assumption Cemetery, off S I-35 behind Home Depot. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78704, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Edward’s University Main Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Magruder, C.S.A (approx. 0.8 miles away); Approximate Site Reached by the Espinosa-Olivares-Aguirre Expedition (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Original Skyline Club Sign (approx. 1.2 miles away); Ward Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Walter Tips House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Texas Dental Association (approx. 1.4 miles away); Reuter House (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Doyle Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, December 20, 2007
2. Doyle Farm Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,842 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25852

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024