Thompsonville in Sullivan County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Town of Thompson
Erected 1940 by New York State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics.
Location. 41° 40.115′ N, 74° 37.516′ W. Marker is in Thompsonville, New York, in Sullivan County. Marker is on Heiden Road (County Route 161) 0.1 miles north of Thompsonville Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Thompsonville NY 12784, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Holley (approx. 2˝ miles away); Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Site of First House in Monticello (approx. 3.2 miles away); St John's Episcopal Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); Methodist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Monticello Depot (approx. 3˝ miles away); Site of Toll House (approx. 3.8 miles away); a different marker also named Methodist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away).
Regarding Town of Thompson. Judge Thompson, a native of Woodbury,
He built the township's first permanent settlement which he called Albion Mills (later known as Thompsonville), with a small log house for himself and his family, and later a sawmill and a grist mill on the Sheldrake Creek which was completed in the summer of 1796.
In 1802 Judge Thompson was appointed by Governor George Clinton one of the judges of the common pleas of Ulster County, and became that county's First Judge a year later. When Sullivan county was erected in 1809 he was its chief magistrate. He remained so until 1823 when he became ineligible by reason of his age. In his later career he became an authority on fossils and was a member of many learned societies. He lived to the age of 85, fathering 16 children and outliving three wives.
Also see . . .
1. Town of Thompson. (Submitted on December 26, 2009.)
2. Village of Monticello. (Submitted on December 26, 2009.)
3. Minutes of the Newburgh-Cochecton Turnpike Co., 13 June 1807. Filed with Judge William A. Thompson at the Ulster County Court House, Kingston, New York. (Submitted on December 26, 2009, by Tom Rue of Monticello, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2009, by Tom Rue of Monticello, New York. This page has been viewed 903 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2009, by Tom Rue of Monticello, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.