Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Downtown Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church of Austin

 
 
First United Methodist Church of Austin Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, November 18, 2007
1. First United Methodist Church of Austin Marker
Inscription.  

In 1840, shortly after Austin was incorporated, the Rev. John Haynie (1786-1860), a Methodist circuit rider from the Mississippi Conference, led 14 members in forming this fellowship. They worshiped at temporary sites, including the Capitol building of the Republic of Texas. In 1847 they completed their first church building, a wooden structure on Congress Avenue and 4th Street, during the pastorate of the Rev. Homer S. Thrall (1819-1894 ), circuit rider and well-known author of Texas and Methodist history. Doctors met in the original building in 1853 to form the Texas Medical Association.

In 1854, under the Rev. John W. Phillips ( 1821-1891 ), the original church was sold and a new brick edifice built at Brazos and 10th Street. In 1884 Dr. A. E. Goodwyn (1818-1902) led construction of a larger building at that site. For a time this congregation was called Tenth Street Methodist Church. The members bought the present property in 1921 and built this Neo-Classical structure. Pastors instrumental in building and improving the present church facility include Dr. Edward R. Barcus (1872-1958), Dr. W. F. Bryan (1872-1965), Dr. Marvin
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
S. Vance (1905-1966) and Dr. Robert S. Tate, Jr. (1914-1976). As Austin's second oldest Protestant congregation this fellowship has made significant contributions to the state's history.
 
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6418.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
 
Location. 30° 16.487′ N, 97° 44.567′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Downtown Austin. Marker is on Lavaca Street north of West 12th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1201 Lavaca Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Evolution of a Great State (within shouting distance of this marker); Westgate Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Haynie-Cook House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Goodman Building (about 400 feet away); Spanish-American War Memorial (about 400 feet away); Veterans of the 36th Infantry Memorial (about 400 feet away); Central Christian Church (about 500 feet away); Bicentennial Star (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Also see . . .  First United Methodist Church of Austin
First United Methodist Church of Austin and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, November 18, 2007
2. First United Methodist Church of Austin and Marker
. (Submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,051 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25883

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024