Downtown Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The first Lutheran church in Travis County. Organized Dec. 12, 1868, by Swedish pioneers under leadership of Swante Palm.
Site of first church building was 11 blocks SW; this structure was erected in 1883. It contains stone hauled in wheelbarrows from Texas Capitol that burned 1881. The present ornate, paneled doors came (1934) from old main building at University of Texas.
Architecture is typical of many rural Swedish churches.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962
Erected 1962 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 14770.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is December 12, 1857.
Location. 30° 16.665′ N, 97° 44.365′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Downtown Austin. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Congress Avenue and East 16th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1510 Congress Avenue, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker Diocese of Austin (within shouting distance of this marker); Carrington-Covert House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Swedish Evangelical Free Church (about 500 feet away); State Bar of Texas (about 600 feet away); Moses Austin (about 600 feet away); Texas World War I Memorial (about 700 feet away); Statue of Liberty Replica (about 700 feet away); Remember Pearl Harbor ★ Keep America Alert (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 877 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on January 4, 2016, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. 3. submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.