Round Rock in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Swedish immigrant Johanna Olson (1835-1914) purchased this property in 1907 after she returned to the Round Rock area upon the death of her husband, Johannes, in 1894. Local contractor A.S. Robertson built this house for her in 1908, and it remained in the Olson family until 1944. Johanna and her daughters took in boarders from nearby Trinity College during its existence from 1906 until 1929. A good local example of Queen Anne architecture, the Olson House features classic elements of that style, including its asymmetry, wrap-around porch and fishscale shingles.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12813.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. 30° 30.659′ N, 97° 40.241′ W. Marker is in Round Rock, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on East Main Street near Nelson Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is mounted on a pole at the entrance to the walkway Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 808 East Main Avenue, Round Rock TX 78664, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Lutheran College (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); A. J. and Carolina Anderson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nelson-Crier House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Andrew J. Palm House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Round Rock (approx. 0.4 miles away); Early Commercial Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Broom Factory Building (approx. half a mile away); Otto Reinke Building (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Round Rock.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,054 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 27, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on October 5, 2013, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3. submitted on December 27, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.