Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Round Rock in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Stony Point School

 
 
Site of Stony Point School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, December 27, 2009
1. Site of Stony Point School Marker
Inscription.  

Stony Point School was established in Williamson County by 1891. Children living in the rural area attended the school, which served students from grades one through eight. Most of the students were sons and daughters of families that emigrated from Sweden. For many of the children, attendance at school was their first exposure to English on a regular basis. As students learned and mastered English, they brought the new language home. Thus, the school assisted in breaking the language barrier for the newly arrived Swedes, helping to acclimate them to this land. In addition, the school gave many of the students, who often lived on farms, their only formal education.

The school changed locations twice in its years of existence. The first location was in a one-room building on the Noack Ranch nicknamed Noack's Ark. The students affectionately called it Arken, Swedish for ark. The school later moved to locations west and southwest of the original site. In 1942, the school officially closed, as historic Stony Point merged with the Round Rock Independent School District. Still, alumni and teachers have gathered biennially
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
to celebrate the former school.

In 1999, a new high school opened in Round Rock, and a committee formed to recommend a name chose Stony Point in honor of the pioneer school. Stony Point High School stands as a modern structure in a growing district, but its name reflects a different time, when a small school served the residents of what was then a rural community.
 
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13529.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
 
Location. 30° 32.789′ N, 97° 36.9′ W. Marker is in Round Rock, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Kiphen Road (County Road 113) and County Road 122, on the right when traveling east on Kiphen Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Round Rock TX 78665, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Major Robert McNutt (approx. 1˝ miles away); Cabin from Gabriel Mills Area (approx. 1.8 miles away); Confederate Chaplains (approx. 1.9 miles away); Hutto Baptist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Palm Valley Lutheran Church (approx. 2˝ miles away); Kenney's Fort (approx. 2˝ miles away); The Double File Trail
Site of Stony Point School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, December 27, 2009
2. Site of Stony Point School Marker
Looking southwest
(approx. 2˝ miles away); Anti-Slaveholding Union Baptist Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Round Rock.
 
Site of Stony Point School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, December 27, 2009
3. Site of Stony Point School Marker
Looking east
Site of Stony Point School image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, December 27, 2009
4. Site of Stony Point School
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,033 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25944

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024