Downtown Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hugh B. Hancock House
Built in 1886, this house was originally located on 7th Street in the Robertson Hill area of East Austin. It was constructed for Hugh B. Hancock, a successful black businessman of the city. In 1904 it was sold to German native Charles Frederick Mann, a local railroad engineer, and it remained in his family until 1959. Built in the Victorian style with classical ornamentation, the residence was moved to this location in 1979.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6457.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
Location. 30° 16.899′ N, 97° 44.778′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Downtown Austin. Marker is at the intersection of West Avenue and West 18th Street, on the right when traveling north on West Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1717 West Ave, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker Site of Edward Mandell House Home (a few steps from this marker); J.W. and Cornelia Scarbrough House (within shouting distance of this marker); West Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Denny-Holliday House (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Larmour House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Goodall Wooten House (about 600 feet away); Herblin – Shoe House (about 600 feet away); McLendon-Price House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,241 times since then and 94 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on December 24, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. 3. submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.