Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A rare and important example of the Craftsman Aesthetic designed by prominent Austin architect Charles H. Page Sr., this house was built in 1909 for Austin businessman Milton Hodnette. Horizontal emphasis, broad overhanging eaves, a generous porch, the use of local limestone to contrast with brick, and the lanterns (possibly made by local craftsman Fortunat Weigl and common in Charles Page’s designs) are all hallmarks of the style. The stone from a low wall that originally encircled the property was used in the construction of a garage in the late 1940s.
Texas Recorded Historic Landmark - 1998
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12242.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 30° 18.377′ N, 97° 43.723′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue F and East 43rd Street, on the right when traveling south on Avenue F. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4300 Avenue F, Austin TX 78751, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Kopperl House (within shouting distance of this marker); Hyde Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Elisabet Ney (about 600 feet away); Williams-Weigl House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Philquist-Wood House (approx. ¼ mile away); Wells-LaRue House (approx. ¼ mile away); Elvira T. Manor Davis House (approx. ¼ mile away); The Shipe House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 754 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.