Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Advertised in 1892 as “The most fashionable part of the wealthiest and most aristocratic ward in the city”, Hyde Park was Austin’s first planned suburb. Encompassing an area bordered by the present streets of Guadalupe, 38th, Duval, and 45th, it was promoted by Monroe M. Shipe (1847-1924), President of the Austin Rapid Transit Railway Co. and the M.K.&T. Land and Town Co.
Shipe arranged for an electric streetcar line to run from Congress Avenue to Hyde Park. He built a lake and pavilion for recreation and had the city’s first moonlight tower erected at the corner of Speedway and 41st Street. He also built the first Hyde Park school and by 1893 forty homes had been built in the neighborhood.
Among the area’s illustrious early residents, whose homes still remain, were sculptress Elisabet Ney; Swiss woodcarver Peter Mansbendel; and horticulturist F.T. Ramsey. By the early 1900s the large Victorian homes in the neighborhood were being joined by smaller bungalows. The lake was drained and the pavilion was razed. Hyde Park was within the city limits of Austin by the 1930s and the streetcar ceased operation in the
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14424.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places.
Location. 30° 18.394′ N, 97° 43.784′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on Speedway just north of West 43rd Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4301 Speedway, Austin TX 78751, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kopperl House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hodnette House (about 300 feet away); Elisabet Ney (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elvira T. Manor Davis House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Williams-Weigl House (approx. ¼ mile away); Philquist-Wood House (approx. ¼ mile away); Wells-LaRue House (approx. ¼ mile away); Petrified Forest Lodge (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 937 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on December 29, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on November 13, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.