Bakersfield in Kern County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The discovery of oil on the west side of Kern County in the late 1800s brought an influx of people to the area and created oil boom towns such as Fellows, Reward, and Taft.
In 1910, L. R. Buchanan built the Hotel Fellows for Martha Derminghem Buress in the once thriving town of Fellows. Martha, an immigrant from France, provided room and board for oil field workers and their families. Martha married Joe Randall in 1913. An industrious businesswoman, she was affectionately known as “Ma” Randall by hotel patrons.
The Santa Fe Energy Company donated the Hotel Fellows to the museum in 1989. The hotel was moved in one piece approximately 40 miles from Midway Road in downtown Fellows to the museum.
Erected by Kern County Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 35° 23.588′ N, 119° 1.248′ W. Marker is in Bakersfield, California, in Kern County. Marker can be reached from Chester Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3801 Chester Avenue, Bakersfield CA 93301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Assay Office (here, next to this marker); Court House and Jail (a few steps from this marker); Kern Valley Bank (a few steps from this marker); Fraternal Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Dentist's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); General Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Kern County Begins (within shouting distance of this marker); Metcalf House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bakersfield.
Regarding Hotel Fellows. The town of Fellows is surrounded on all sides by the enormous Midway-Sunset Oil Field, the third-largest oil field in the United States, and the oil and gas industry accounts for much of the area's economic activity. This building was moved to the museum from the town in 1989.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,182 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.