Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Claudia Taylor Johnson Hall
The University of Texas System
Constructed during the period 1912-1914. This building was the seventh United States post office location in Austin, Texas. The supervising architect for the Neoclassical Revival style structure was James Knox Taylor of the U.S. Treasury Department. It was built by Dieter and Wenzel Construction Company of Wichita, Kansas, at a cost of $172,987. The land cost $40,000.
Following construction of a new post office and federal building in 1965, the building was given to the University of Texas system by the Federal Government; it was remodeled into administrative offices by the University in 1970. The building was named in honor of Claudia Taylor Johnson, wife of the 36th president of the United States of America.
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14916.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately 📭 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1965.
Location. 30° 16.119′ N, 97° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 W 6th Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. O. Henry Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old B.J. Smith Property (about 600 feet away); Norwood Tower (about 600 feet away); Scarbrough Building (about 600 feet away); Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Littlefield Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Texas and the Civil War State Military Board (approx. 0.2 miles away); Openheimer-Montgomery Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,598 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 29, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?