Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Oliver House
Ohio Historic Marker
Overlooking the "Middlegrounds," an early site of railroad, immigration, and commercial activity, the Oliver House opened in 1859 as Toledo's premier hotel. It was designed by nationally prominent architect Isaiah Rogers, in the Greek Revival style, and built by the family of William Oliver for whom the hotel was named; owner of this land, Oliver was one of Toledo's earliest real estate investors.
[Reverse Side]:"The Oliver House"
Architect Isaiah Rogers is known as the "father" of the modern hotel, revolutionizing hotel design with such advances as water closets and mechanical call-buttons. The Oliver House is the last of Rogers' hotels in the United States, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Historic American Buildings Survey.
Erected 1987 by Toledo Sesquicentennial Commission and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 8-48.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 41° 38.61′ N, 83° 32.282′ W. Marker is in Toledo, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is on Broadway Street 0 miles south of Ottawa Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toledo OH 43604, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Moses Fleetwood Walker (approx. 0.4 miles away); Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad (approx. 0.4 miles away); Port Lawrence / Fort Industry, 1805 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Toledo's First High School / Toledo-Lucas County Public Library (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lucas County (approx. ¾ mile away); William McKinley Monument (approx. 0.8 miles away); Toledo (approx. 0.8 miles away); War Savings Stamps (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toledo.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 972 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 29, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.