Central East Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In October 1901, William M. Tears opened the Tears Funeral Home at 614 E. 6th Street to provide mortuary services for African Americans in Austin and the surrounding area. Upon his death in 1923, his son William M. Tears, Jr. became manager of the firm. In 1933, Mr. and Mrs. Charles B. King opened King and Company (later King Funeral Home) at 1107 E. 6th Street. Tears relocated to this site in 1934, and King completed extensive remodeling in 1936. In 1955, these two historic east Austin establishments merged to form the King-Tears Funeral Home. Continuing to operate at this site with expanded services and charitable works in the community, King-Tears remains an important part of Austin’s heritage.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12826.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: African Americans. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1901.
Location. 30° 16.367′ N, 97° 43.567′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Central East Austin. Marker is at the intersection of East 12th Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 E 12th St, Austin TX 78702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colored Teachers State Association of Texas Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Southgate-Lewis House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Johann Jacob Groos (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thompson Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Crittenden Duval (approx. 0.2 miles away); Susanna W. Dickinson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Desegregation of Texas Public Schools (approx. 0.2 miles away); James L. Farmer, Jr. (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . King-Tears Mortuary. (Submitted on December 30, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,264 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 30, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.