Near Palo Pinto in Palo Pinto County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Palo Pinto County
Created Aug. 27, 1856, from Navarro and Bosque counties; organized in 1857. Spanish name Palo Pinto refers to Spotted Oak, a common regional tree having bark with a mottled appearance.
Good hunting and abundant water made area a favored Indian locality. The first Anglo-American settlers arrived in 1850s, including Texas cattlemen and trail-blazers Charles Goodnight and Oliver Loving. The discovery, in 1880, of mineral water and arrival of Texas & Pacific Railroad brought an influx of settlers and helped establish a strong economy.
The county seat, first named Golconda in 1856, was renamed Palo Pinto in 1858.
Erected by the State of Texas - 1973
Erected 1973 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 3920.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is August 27, 1856.
Location. 32° 45.774′ N, 98° 19.577′ W. Marker is near Palo Pinto, Texas, in Palo Pinto County. It is at the intersection of U.S. 180 and RD Bell Road, on the left when traveling east on U.S. 180. The marker is located on the east side of a road side park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Palo Pinto TX 76484, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Prairies & Lakes Region. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Comancherνa, the Republic of Texas, and one of the Confederate States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Palo Pinto Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); First Christian Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Palo Pinto County War Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); John Richard Winters (approx. 1.6 miles away); Courthouses of Palo Pinto County (approx. 1.6 miles away); Jonathan Hamilton Baker (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old County Jail (approx. 1.6 miles away); Palo Pinto Methodist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palo Pinto.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 5, 2024. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 379 times since then and 28 times this year. Last updated on November 4, 2024, by Jeff Leichsenring of Garland, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 15, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.


