Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
George Washington Littlefield (1842-1920) came to Texas from Mississippi in 1850. After serving in Terry’s Texas Rangers in the Civil War, he made his fortune ranching and driving cattle. He moved to Austin in 1883 and, in 1890, established the American National Bank, which included a ladies’ banking department. He hired architect C.H. Page, Jr., to design this Beaux Arts classical building, which opened in 1912 with a rooftop garden. His bank was on the ground floor. For the corner entrance, he commissioned Tiffany’s of New York to cast bronze, bas-relief doors by sculptor Daniel Webster. These were later donated to the University of Texas, of which Littlefield was a major benefactor.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12734.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 30° 16.082′ N, 97° 44.539′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of 601 Congress Avenue and E 6th Street, on the rightTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of John Bremond & Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Scarbrough Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Sixth Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Driskill Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stephen F. Austin Hotel (about 400 feet away); Hotel Provident and Heierman Building (about 400 feet away); Paramount Theatre (about 500 feet away); Offices Of The War Department And The Adjutant General (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 31, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 907 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 31, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?