Bartlett in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Bartlett
Organized between 1870 and 1875 as the Indian Creek Church, this congregation moved to Bartlett about 1885. Services were held in a store, schoolhouse, and Baptist church before construction of a Methodist church in 1890. Built in 1896, the present sanctuary was enlarged in 1912 and dedicated on June 19, 1921, after a donation by Mrs. S. T. Morrison helped pay the debt. Dedication speaker was the Rev. H. A. Boaz, an early pastor here who later became a bishop and president of Southern Methodist University. The fellowship grew from 13 members to a peak of 310 in the late 1950s.
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9087.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1876.
Location. 30° 47.847′ N, 97° 26.13′ W. Marker is in Bartlett, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on West Clark Street (County Route 487). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 645 West Clark Street, Bartlett TX 76511, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church of Bartlett (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bartlett Grammar School (approx. Ό mile away); Mount Arie (Mount Ararat) Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Bartlett (approx. 0.3 miles away); Woman's Wednesday Club (approx. 0.4 miles away); City of Bartlett (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Bartlett Colored School (approx. half a mile away); First National Bank of Bartlett (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bartlett.
Also see . . . First United Methodist Church of Bartlett. Williamson County Historical Commission (Submitted on February 18, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,700 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on December 31, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 13, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.