Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lexington in Oglethorpe County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church

 
 
Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
1. Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church was organized on December 20, 1785, in the wilderness about three miles West of this site, under the leadership of Mr. John Newton, then a licentiate. It was the first of a chain of Presbyterian churches established in North Georgia in the latter part of the 18th century, by the Presbytery of South Carolina. The Rev. John Newton was the first minister, serving Beth-Salem until his death in 1797. Ezekiel Gilham, James Parks and James Espey were elders.

Later, Beth-Salem was moved to the present site, and on December 20, 1827, was chartered by the Legislature.

Charter members were: William Campbell, David McLaughlin, William Lesley, Samuel McCauley, John Pharr, John F. Wallace, Joseph Espey, Mrs. Marion Greer, Mrs. Jane Jewell, Mrs. Jane Campbell, Sam McLaughlin, Mrs. Lesley, Mary Espey, Ann Gaulding, Damary Baldwin, Hannah Upson, Sarah Walley, Martha Gilham, Sarah Moore, Mrs. Mary Kennedy, Miss Maria Harrison, The Rev. Thomas Goulding.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 109-6.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is
Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
2. Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church and Marker
The marker is just to the left of the church, built in 1896. This building replaced an earlier one erected in 1822.
Click or scan to see
this page online
listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1930.
 
Location. 33° 52.206′ N, 83° 6.528′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Georgia, in Oglethorpe County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street and Meson Street, on the left when traveling east on Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington GA 30648, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Meson Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Meson Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Oglethorpe County (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); James T. Rayle Post No. 123 Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oglethorpe County Veterans Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor Gilmer’s Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oglethorpe County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,003 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=26059

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 26, 2022