Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Trumbull in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

The Trumbull Library

 
 
The Trumbull Library Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, December 16, 2009
1. The Trumbull Library Marker
Inscription.  
The Completion Of
The Trumbull Library
Realizes the Dreams and Concerns
Of Half a Century of Trumbull Residents
In 1923 on land deeded by the Trumbull Congregational Church in Trumbull Center the Nichols Memorial Library was opened as a request from Mary Francis (Nichols) Merwin. In 1929 Mrs. Charles W. and Erwin S. Fairchild Donated the Fairchild–Nichols Memorial Library on the Nichols Green to house the lending library organized at the Old Firehouse in 1922 by William Mills and Nichols residents. In 1937, on land donated by Mrs. Frank Miller in 1930, Hawley Memorial Library was built from funds given by Elizabeth and Walter Hawley in memory of Isadora Hawley and David Banks Hawley, to accommodate the Long Hill PTA book collection housed at Upper Long Hill Firehouse since 1920.

In 1959 the representative town meeting recognized the need for vast restructuring and improvements in library service to meet the growing needs of the Trumbull community. In 1965 First Selectman Clarence F. Heimann, with far-sighted dedication to provide enhanced educational, informational,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and recreational opportunities for citizens of all ages, initiated a Trumbull Library Study Commission. Upon their recommendation, in 1967, the Town Council appointed a Trumbull Library Board of Directors. In December 1968, the existing libraries were coordinated into a unified system and in the following August Grace M. Birch was appointed first town librarian.

Trumbull Library Board of Directors
Present Members
Orville L. Lemoine, Chairman • Donald R. Smith, Vice Chairman • Joseph M. Catera • Lester Dober • Charles W. Hawley • Stanley C. Herrschaft • Judith M. Jewett • Stelle Schwartz • Susan G. Trivers

Past Members
J. Gerard Flynn • Charles H. Hofacker • Frank C. Holmes • J. Frederic Johnson • Robert S. Keane • Patricia H. Micklos • Jane R. Smith • Thomas N. Taylor
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationNotable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1968.
 
Location. 41° 15.386′ N, 73° 13.034′ W. Marker is in Trumbull, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Hill Road (Connecticut Route 127) and Quality Street, on the left when traveling north on Church Hill Road. Located next to the entrance of the Trumbull Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 33 Quality Street, Trumbull CT 06611, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8
The Trumbull Library and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, December 16, 2009
2. The Trumbull Library and Marker
other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salute to Women – Veterans Day 1999 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trumbull World War I Memorial (about 600 feet away); Trumbull Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); Jonathan Trumbull (about 600 feet away); Trumbull Volunteer Fire Company #1 (approx. 1½ miles away); Long Hill World War I Memorial (approx. 1½ miles away); In Memory of Lt. Rodney L. Stokes and Sgt. Julius G. Skyberg (approx. 1.7 miles away); Tashua Hills (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trumbull.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 31, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,320 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 31, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=26085

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024