Waldeck in Tirschenreuth, Bavaria, Germany — Central Europe
Burgkapelle und Pfarrkirche
⎯⎯⎯
Castle chapel and parish church
⎯⎯⎯
Hradní kaple a farní kostel
Inscription.
St. Ägidius: Bindeglied zwischen Burg und Markt
Ihr Rundgang wird Sie nun durch die verschiedenen Teile und die Baugeschichte der Burg Waldeck führen. Den Startpunkt bildet die Burgkapelle St. Ägidius, die auch der Bevölkerung als Kirche diente und damit ein Bindeglied zwischen Burg- und Marktbewohnern war.
Die Burgkapelle bestand wohl seit dem frühen 12. Jahrhundert unweit des Markttores. Obwohl die Kapelle im Mittelalter der benachbarten Pfarrei Kastl unterstellt war, wurde sie rasch zum kirchlichen Mittelpunkt des Ortes. Nach und nach wurden hier auch Taufen und Eheschließungen abgehalten. Der erste Todesgottesdienst ist 1599 belegt.
Bildunterschriften
Seitenansicht und Grundriss der Burgkapelle St. Ägidius aus dem 16. Jahrhundert. Quelle: Auf- und Grundriss der Burgkapelle St. Ägidius zu Waldeck. 16. Jahrhundert
St. Giles: Link between castle and market
Your tour will now lead you through the different parts of the construction history of Waldeck Castle. The starting point is St. Giles' Castle Chapel which also served as the church for the townsfolk and was therefore a link between those living in the castle and those living in the Markt.
The chapel had been situated not far from the town gate since the early 12th century. Although in the Middle Ages the chapel was assigned to the neighbouring parish Kastl, it soon became the focal point of the village. Gradually, christenings and marriages also began to take place here. The first funeral service was attended in 1599.
Captions
Side view and floor plan of St. Giles' castle chapel from the 16th century. Source: Layout and ground plan of the castle chapel of St. Ägidius in Waldeck. 16th century
Svatý Jiljí: Spojnice mezi hradem a vesnicí
Obhlídka Vás nyní provede různými částmi a historií stavby hradu Waldeck. Začátek tvoří hradní kaple Svatého Jiljí, která také sloužila jako kostel pro obyvatele obce a tvořila tak spojnici mezi hradem a obcí.
Hradní kaple se nacházela v raném 12.století nedaleko brány obce. I když kaple spadala ve středověku pod sousední farství Kastl, stala se rychle kostelním středobodem oblasti. Postupně se zde konaly i křtiny a svatby. První bohoslužba za mrtvé se zde konala roku 1599.
Titulky
Pohled z boku a půdorys hradní kaple Sv. Jiljí ze 16.století. Zdroj: Dispozice a půdorys zámecké kaple sv. Ägidia ve Waldecku. 16. století
Erected by European Union and European Regional Development Fund. (Marker Number 4.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical year for this entry is 1599.
Location. 49° 51.483′ N, 11° 56.881′ E. Marker is in Waldeck, Bayern (Bavaria), in Tirschenreuth. It is on Am Schloßberg half a kilometer south of Oberer Markt. The marker is located on the southern section of the castle ruins at the chapel. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waldeck BY 95478, Germany. Touch for directions.
Regionally, it is in Europe, the European Union, Atlantic Europe, Central Europe, the Schengen Area, Western Europe, and the Western World. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Holy Roman Empire.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Auf dem Wehrgang / On the battlement walkway / Na ochozu (a few steps from this marker); Bergfried, Palas, Kernburg / Fortified tower, palace, main castle / Bašta, palác, hlavní hrad (within shouting distance of this marker); Blick auf den neuen Markt / View of the new market / Pohled na novou obec
(within shouting distance of this marker); Blick auf den Kalvarienberg / View of the Mount Calvery / Pohled na horu kalvárie (within shouting distance of this marker); Die beiden Vorburgen / The two outer castles / Obě předhradí (within shouting distance of this marker); Vertiefung: Koesslers Musik Koessler-Archiv / In-Depth: Koessler's Music Koessler Archive (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Letzte Lebensphase und Tod in Ansbach / Last phase of life and death in Ansbach (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Geburt, frühe Kindheit und Familie / Birth, Early Childhood and Family (approx. 0.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waldeck.
More about this marker. The marker is located on the grounds of the Waldeck Castle.
Also see . . . Castle chapel and parish church. European Union
The medieval chapel was dedicated to Saint Giles, whose popularity in the diocese of Bamberg and Regensburg markedly increased from the 12th century onwards. This saint was particularly popular among knights and noblemen, which is of course why several castle chapels are named after him. In Waldeck, the church service(Submitted on November 19, 2024, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)was initially held by the priest of Kastl.
In 1674 Waldeck was assigned its own curator whose place of residence was also in the town. The town (Markt) became an independent parish in 1690; the castle chapel became the first parish church.
The history of the castle chapel being the parish church ends with the War of the Spanish Succession and the consequent demolition of the fortress in 1704. The detailed eyewitness account of the parish priest, Pfarrer Weiß, recounts the bombing of the castle and the looting of the bells of St.-Giles’ Church. The priest was only able to save the robes, the chalices and the altar before the church was damaged.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2024. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2024, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 134 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 19, 2024, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.



