Murphys in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1980 by State Department of Parks & Recreation, Murphys A & Q Inc. (Marker Number 267.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks series list.
Location. 38° 8.262′ N, 120° 27.899′ W. Marker is in Murphys, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Algiers Street on Main Street. Plaque is placed on the north wall, left of the buildings Main Street entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 457 Main Street, Murphys CA 95247, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Sperry Hotel (here, next to this marker); Peter L. Traver BuildingThompson Building (a few steps from this marker); Jones Apothecary – Cheap Cash Store (a few steps from this marker); The Old Fisk Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Maj. James D. Savage (within shouting distance of this marker); John Murphy (within shouting distance of this marker); E Clampus Vitus (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murphys.
Regarding Murphys Hotel. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 267 on September 3, 1937 as The Mitchler Hotel
Statement of Significance:
This is one of the oldest hotels still operating in California. First called the Sperry and Perry Hotel, it was opened by James L. Sperry and John Perry on August 20, 1856. Henry Atwood was its proprietor in 1881 - later, ownership passed to Harvey Blood. Renamed the Mitchler Hotel in 1882, and the Murphys Hotel in 1945 by the McKimins family, it was bought by a College of the Pacific group in 1963.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 20, 2007, by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 2,155 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 20, 2007, by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California. 3. submitted on July 7, 2010. 4. submitted on July 10, 2010. 5. submitted on July 7, 2010. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.