Central East Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church
This congregation began meeting for informal worship services during the early 1870s at the home of Tempie Washington. By 1873, the thirteen original members were meeting in their own sanctuary on San Antonio street. The Rev. Frank Green served as first pastor.
While plans were being drawn for a new church building, the original structure burned in 1883. Worship services were temporarily held in Smith’s Opera House on W. Sixth street. By 1884, members of Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church were worshiping in a new building. In 1913, the church moved to a site formerly occupied by the St. John German Evangelical congregation, and ten years later relocated to this address.
The Metropolitan A.M.E. Church has been served throughout its history by many able pastors. The Rev. Abraham Grant, who came to Austin in 1881, led the congregation until 1888, when he became a bishop in the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Dr. William Laws served here during the first years of the twentieth century and was later President of Paul Quinn College.
An established part of Austin’s black community for over
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15642.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church, and the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
Location. 30° 16.091′ N, 97° 43.762′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Central East Austin. Marker is on East 10th Street east of Waller Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1101 E 10th Street, Austin TX 78702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Victory Grill (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ebenezer (Third) Baptist Church (about 500 feet away); George A. Peterson House (about 600 feet away); French Legation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stuart Female Seminary (approx. 0.2 miles away); Winslow Turner (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Gideon Lincecum (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Weedon (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 3,124 times since then and 130 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 2, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.