Near Leander in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Community of Nameless
First surveyed in the 1850s, this area attracted numerous settlers by 1868. A community grew up, and in 1880 townspeople applied for a post office. After postal authorities rejected six names, the citizens replied in disgust, “Let the post office be nameless and be d—d”. The implied “name” was accepted.
Besides the post office (1880-90), town had store, meat market, and school, which also served as a church. The present school was erected in 1909; classes were discontinued in 1945. Today only school, cemetery, and ruins mark site of once-active community.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 14580.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately 📭 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 30° 31.512′ N, 97° 55.658′ W. Marker is near Leander, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from Nameless Road south Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23436 Nameless Road, Leander TX 78641, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A. S. Mason House (approx. 4.7 miles away); Heinatz Homestead (approx. 4.8 miles away); Bagdad Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Cox Springs School (approx. 5.1 miles away); Site of a Block House (approx. 5.4 miles away); New Hope First Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 5˝ miles away); Norton Moses Lodge No. 336, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 5˝ miles away); Pickle-Mason House (approx. 5˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leander.
Also see . . .
1. Find a Grave listing for Nameless Cemetery. (Submitted on November 22, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
2. Nameless, Texas at the Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on November 22, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
3. Fairview School in the 1936 Defender, Portal to Texas History. The 1936 Defender was a yearbook of rural community schools in Travis County published to celebrate the Texas Centennial. The school appears in that publication as Fairview which was the original name. (Submitted on November 25, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 3, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,001 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 3, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 22, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 5. submitted on January 3, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.