Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brantford in Brant County, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
 

Langford United Church

1868-1968

 
 
Langford United Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, May 24, 2022
1. Langford United Church Marker
Inscription.
This cairn erected to commemorate our 100th anniversary by the congregation June 9, 1968
 
Erected 1968 by The Langford United Church Congregation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
 
Location. 43° 9.634′ N, 80° 8.842′ W. Marker is in Brantford, Ontario, in Brant County. It is at the intersection of Colborne Street East (County Highway 53) and Langford Church Road, on the right when traveling east on Colborne Street East. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1601 Brant County Highway 53, Brantford ON N3T 5L4, Canada. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in the Hamilton-Halton-Brant Area and in Southwestern Ontario. It is also in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Rupert’s Land.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 kilometers
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Hon. George Brown 1818-1880 (approx. 4.9 kilometers away); Rev. Peter Jones (approx. 7 kilometers away); John Hicks Whale (approx. 7.6 kilometers away); E. Pauline Johnson (approx. 8 kilometers away); Chiefswood (approx. 8 kilometers away); a different marker also named E. Pauline Johnson (approx. 8 kilometers away); Original Canoe Landing for the Mohawk Village (approx. 8.1 kilometers away); Tomb of THAYENDANEGEA (approx. 8.2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brantford.
 
Also see . . .
1. Langford Community Church website.
Excerpt:  Langford has a long and lasting history in the community, with 2018 marking our 150th anniversary. The ministry had its beginnings in the 1860’s as the Plank Road Methodist Church. In 1924, Langford joined the newly formed United Church of Canada. As a result of many changes in the teachings of the denomination, the leadership and congregation of Langford made the decision to sever their ties with the United Church in 1989. Since then, by God’s grace, Langford has grown into a strong, vibrant, friendly, Scripture based, family
Langford United Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, May 24, 2022
2. Langford United Church Marker
Looking southeast from Colborne Street East; Langford United Church is in the background.
oriented, Community Church.
(Submitted on December 1, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Life in a Country Church.
(By Ruth Lefler, May 25, 2018) Excerpt:  After the American Revolution, United Empire Loyalist families, including the Vanderlips, Westbrooks, Files and Whitings, cleared their lands, built their homes and began farming. Jacob Langs and his family came from the United States in 1810 and purchased land from Allen Sage. The first post office was named Langsford because Wallace Langs was the first postmaster and a swampy creek in the hollow just east of Langs's farm had to be forded by the travelers who used this road.

Around 1851, the Plank Road Church was established. A small frame building on land donated by Edward Vanderlip received the saddlebag preachers, who shared the Good News from their well-worn Bibles. They often stayed for a few nights at the settlers' homes. By May 1860, its membership stood at 46.

The present-day church, which became known as the New Plank Road Church, was built in 1868 on the same property. When the Union of Methodist Churches was accepted in 1871, its name

Paid Advertisement
changed to the Langford Wesleyan Methodist Church. By 1925, the church joined with the United Church of Canada and became the Langford United Church.

In 1992, the deed for the Langford Church property was transferred by the United Church of Canada to the Langford Community Church, allowing it to be an independent church with the name Langford Community Church.

(Submitted on December 1, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2024. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 167 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
m=261972

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 31, 2026