Spring Valley in Greene County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
George Barrett Cement House
Poor Man's Home, Rich Man's Palace
After his home was destroyed by fire, George Barrett decided to build a home that would survive another disaster. An article Barrett read by O.S. Fowler in New York described a new building material that used gravel, sand, and lime. Cement was a less expensive and more time efficient construction material than brick. Unable to get help from a mason, Barrett gathered the material and built the house himself. Completed in 1853, the house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Spring Valley Acts, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 12-29.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 36.54′ N, 84° 0.502′ W. Marker is in Spring Valley, Ohio, in Greene County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Terrace Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Little Miami River (approx. 0.3 miles away); Unknown Union Soldier (approx. 4.1 miles away); Chester Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.2 miles away); Engle Mill Road Covered Bridge (approx. 5 miles away); Union Meeting House Organized in 1807 / Union Seminary Organized in 1809 (approx. 5.4 miles away); Logan’s Memorial Day Order (approx. 6.3 miles away); Honor (approx. 6.3 miles away); Civil War Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.3 miles away).
Also see . . . George Barrett Cement House Restoration Project. (Submitted on January 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for George Barrett Cement House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,174 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.